Sunday, November 25, 2012

earrings! help!

so the san francisco gallery man specifically asked that i send some new earring designs along with my samples.  i have been playing around with some and i could use your feedback.  please take a look at these and vote in the above poll to let me know which ones you like best.  also feel free to leave comments if you'd like...

#1 the little boy blue earrings,
with kyanite, faceted iolite, and rose cut rainbow moonstone

the name comes from a lovely song by mr. will oldham:

well, i'm knocking on the door of your heart my dear
like the three little pigs you have it locked with fear
not huffin' and a-puffin' like the others do
i'm not a big bad wolf, just a little boy blue


open up your heart, let me come in
i've no hair on my chinny chin-chin
know i love you and i won't hurt you
i'm not a big bad wolf, just a little boy blue


well, the first one you loved broke your heart like straw
i was sound asleep, i didn't see it at all
my heart's in my hand, i'm gonna give it you
well, your heart's like stone and i can't reach you


open up your heart, let me come in
i've no hair on my chinny chin-chin
know i love you and i won't hurt you
i'm not a big bad wolf, just a little boy blue


well, you won't let me in, so i'll sneak away
and if you ever need me, i'll be asleep in the hay
not huffin' and a-puffin' like the others do
i'm not a big bad wolf, just a little boy blue


open up your heart, let me come in
i've no hair on my chinny chin-chin
know i love you and i won't hurt you
i'm not a big bad wolf, just a little boy blue


open up your heart, let me come in
i've no hair on my chinny chin-chin
you know i love you and i won't hurt you
i'm not a big bad wolf, just a little boy blue
i'm not a big bad wolf, just a little boy blue

they are dainty and delicate.


 #2 the niagara in a barrel earrings,
with apatite, aquamarine, and kyanite



i have this very vivid memory of riding the "maid of the mist" when i was about 10 or 11. i went to niagara falls with my grandmother and my cousin, ty. we were on the ferry, wearing our oversized rented raincoats to keep from getting soaked by the abundant spray. i clearly remember standing there, being in total awe of the enormity of these falls, and the POWER that water posessed. the turbulence and the force of the noise was overpowering. i remember asking my grandmother "how on earth did people go over those in a barrel?" i just couldn't fathom it. i pictured those people, all cramped up in there, their bellies tight with fear and anticipation and excitement, knowing what was going on outside, just going with the flow and hoping they survived. i imagined that it was quite calm in there, quiet even despite the outside roar.

and so, these here earrings are to remind us that even when everything is turbulent and crazy on the outside, we can be calm and quiet and peaceful on the inside, holding on for dear life.



#3 the cairn earrings,
sterling silver


when you are hiking in an area where the trail is not especially obvious, like a red rock slope or a scree covered mountain, you will often find a cairn waiting for you, to help you find your way. these signposts reassure you that you are heading in the right direction. you are not lost. you have stayed the course. other times, stone cairns can be used to mark a significant spot, a spectacular view, a fork in the trail, a good swimming spot, etc. the symbolism of a cairn is beautiful. i wanted to make a piece that would offer you a simple reminder that you are going the right way, whatever way you are going. it is the right way for you right now. until it isn't, and then you will know.

these are very lightweight and make a delightful sound.


#4 changing gears earrings,
sterling silver

when i first started making these, i didn't mean for them to look so industrial, for lack of a better word.

but then i thought they remind me of bike gears, or chains, which is very fitting for me right now.  since we are having this ridiculous (albeit fabulous) indian summer here in southwest colorado, i am still able to ride my bike on november 25th.  and as much as i am anticipating and looking forward to cross country ski season, i am loving riding my bike right now.  so these are about changing gears, making the transition from smooth, flat, easy going to steep, hard, rocky uphill, do what you gotta do to make it into something you can accomplish.  put it in a higher gear.  take a deep breath.  slow down.  encourage yourself...  whatever it is...  and before you know it, you will be coasting again, low gear, downhill, pedaling fast...


okay, folks, please help me out!
vote up above or leave feedback?
thanks so much.
xoxo

9 comments:

Niky Sayers said...

Completly in love with #2 the niagara in a barrel earrings utterly stunning!

Tracy said...

I voted #1, because I am obsessed with the rainbow moonstone. I'd also vote for #4, because they match my rings. I think they are all beautiful though. I hope you can add a card with them they explains your design the way you did in the blog post, it really adds another bit of special to your already special pieces!

Unknown said...

#2. Love the curvey bar hammered...original and striking. #3 is cool too, consistent with your "look" ya know! I want to wear them all!

kristi smith said...

thanks so much, ladies! i truly appreciate your feedback. think i'll go ahead and list them in the etsy shop now and see what kind of feedback i can generate that way...

KatyaC said...

I pick "all of the above" ! Love the Niagra ones and the interlocked circles.

kristi smith said...

thanks, katya! maybe i'll have to name another pair of earrings after you!

Unknown said...

I LOVE #1, 3 & 4. They are awesome. The first one is unlike any others I've seen you do.

6512 and growing said...

Kristi, I like the 1st and last best.
Also, last night at Trimble Col and Rose were asking about all my jewelry, and it came out that no, I didn't order any of it, but that I have this amazingly talented jeweler friend who just SENDS me gorgeous pieces periodically. Wow. We were all silent for a moment contemplating the amazingness of that.
I am so lucky, and grateful.
Looking forward to seeing you Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

Definitely the cairn earrings