Tuesday, June 8, 2010

rivers and mountains...

today, i made another "on the riverbank" ring...

"take a look at your natural river. what are you? stop playing games with yourself. where's your river going? are you riding with it? or are you rowing against it? don't you see that there is no effort if you're riding with your river?" ~ carl frieseke

from the riverbank, you can watch the river. see the current for what it is. watch the waves and the flow, without being caught up in it. the direction and the movement are so much more clear when you are not moving along with it.

the river is continued on the band...


and, i made the "tranquility" ring, inspired by out camping trip last weekend.
nighttime. full moon. serene lake. pine trees. it brings to mind a sense of tranquility and quiet and serenity. with this ring, you can go to that place, feel that serenity, anytime you want. the ridgeline in the ring is a section of the northwestern san juan mountains. the tallest peak, on the right side, is a fourteener called mt. sneffels, also known as the queen of the san juans. ( incidentally, i climbed sneffels several years ago with my beloved dog, miles.)

this ring is made up of several layers of heavy silver sheet. the mountains and the pine trees are soldered onto a sterling oval. the lake is made from a beautiful blue/green rainbow flourite and the full moon is an opal. the ridgeline is continued on the band of the ring. i stamped the word "tranquility" on the back.


this is the ridgeline.

and this is the camping trip...

we went to ridgway state park for a wonderful weekend!

we got to hang out at the "beach"


and we went to the ridgway brewery, colorado boy

we roasted marshmallows

and spent some great time in the mountains.






(glenn + kristi)

and, of course, we stopped in telluride on the way home.


don't forget to enter the GIVEAWAY in the post below this!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, beautiful! I especially like the riverbank ring.

susie said...

Love the rings and their bands. I really like the way your pieces capture snapshots of your experiences.

p.s. I've been listening to Band Of Horses, I think you might like them.

susie said...

Love the rings and their bands. I really like the way your pieces capture snapshots of your experiences.

p.s. I've been listening to Band Of Horses, I think you might like them.

Diane said...

Hi,

I am Jen Mattson Stewart's friend from Mexico. My husband is a rock miner, and I bead. Do you work the rock also, or just the silver? We are the owners of the Bird's Eye Jasper mine down here and also handle different types of agate.

You can email me at diane.longhurst@gmail.com

Thank you, your work is beautifully elaborated. I would love to learn how to work silver!

Anonymous said...

Two stunning rings! Having (thanks to you) recently taught myself sweat soldering, I'm in awe of the complexity of the Riverbank ring and just purring at how lovely the mountain one is too. I wish I had an imagination like yours! Lovely story about climbing the mountain too.