Friday, February 18, 2011

...float...fly...grow...

first of all, thank you to all of you lovely lurkers who came out to leave comments; it warms my heart. i just love knowing that you are all there, checking in on my work and my life, and that it somehow adds something to your life. it's a wonderful thing, these cyber relationships.

more green. what's up with me?

a new "without darkness" ring,
with a gorgeous chrysoprase



you might notice that i have been making the same pieces over and over again lately. the messages on the pieces that i make are affirmations. i offer them to you, but i need them just as much. stamping these words into silver makes them somehow more true.


i wanted to make some pieces to represent what i am going through right now. i realized that these vintage carved cabs are perfect. sometimes they look like feathers... float. sometimes they look like wings... fly. sometimes they look like leaves... grow. and right now, i am floating like i am in freefall. i do not know what's going on or what will happen next. when i am feeling confident about the choices i've made, i am flying, soaring, certain everything is right. and either way, whether i am unsure or certain, i am growing.

the "float...fly...grow..." necklace,
with a beautiful, vintage, hand-carved variscite cabochon


the green is luscious.



and a sister ring,
also with variscite, of a mintier variety


yum


i just love it.
just like it's going to float, or fly, or grow, right off of my finger...

and a new "child of the universe necklace,
with an incredible golden prehnite



(just keep on stamping it...)


and these coyote pieces, for cynthia. (you should check out her blog.)









you darkness, that I come from,
love you more than all the fires
that fence in the world,
for the fire makes
a circle of light for everyone,
and then no one outside learns of you.
but the darkness pulls in everything:
shapes and fires, animals and myself,
how easily it gathers them!-
powers and people-

and it is possible a great energy
is moving near me.

I have faith in nights.

~ranier maria rilke

so hazel learned how to read and there is no stopping her! the other day i was at the gym at the same time as the "silver sneakers" class, and it occurred to me that these elderly folks would probably love to hear hazel read.

blanche got to hear both hazel and june read...

carol asked hazel how many boyfriends she had.

and hazel really enjoyed herself too. they all kept telling her what a good reader she was and how they couldn't believe she was only five. she wants to go back again soon.

we are going to spend the weekend in a yurt in ridgway.
see you monday!

5 comments:

susie said...

It seems you always use affirmations on pieces I need to hear at just the time I need to hear them. In love with the flower ring and the coyotes especially. I'm taking another metalsmithing class now, I'm so excited to keep learning. Thanks for all of the inspiration.

Warmed my heart to see Hazel giving of herself like that. Have you guys checked out the Junie B Jones books? My son loved those when he was her age. Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

susie said...

p.s. I know I already left a comment, but I somehow missed your last post. I just wanted to thank you for sharing and let you know that I feel the same way (as I'm sure others do as evidenced by your comments). I have had to accept a lot, particularly about people in my life, but it's been hard for me to still not long for things to change or to wish things were different. I wish you joy along this journey, and just want to thank you again for sharing as we all muddle along our own paths.

kristi smith said...

thanks, susie. you are so very sweet, and always seem to know just how i am feeling!

GraceC said...

Now that you hot me to delurk, I'll probably never shut up. That's why I had a no comment policy. Love your new green pieces and am especially admirous of the bezel you put around the leaves. It had to be tough getting that shape when you were soldering them to the backplate, and they look just great.
Also, hurray for little girls who love to read!

My Creative Community said...

Love those variscite pieces! Such beautiful work on all of your jewelry! Love it!