Thursday, February 3, 2011

no new work, just stuff

we went for a nice little hike the other day,
before it snowed and got really cold again.


and what a glorious snow it was!


i've been for a few awesome skis this week,

and this little guy is totally confused.

we went to hazel's school art show last night; it was very sweet.

and, i recently met with a naturopath. after discussing various issues, she advised me to do a detox diet for 3-6 months. no sugar, no gluten, no coffee, no food-combining. this means that when i first wake up, i drink a smoothie with coconut milk, apple juice, strawberries, blueberries, coconut, mango, pineapple, and avocado. then, three hours later, i eat more fruit. three hours after that, i eat a lunch of vegetables. then, five hours later, i have dinner- protein.
today is day four. it has been very interesting, and i am quite hungry most of the time. but i am so looking forward to the results. here's what i had for lunch:


delicious juice made from fresh, local beets, red cabbage, and carrots,

a salad, with mixed greens, spinach, cabbage, carrots, sunflowers sprouts, snow peas, garbanzo beans, with annie's cowgirl dressing, and a side of steamed brussel sprouts and asparagus.

it's funny. i've spent the last couple of years convincing myself that my bigger body was beautiful, that i was just fine exactly how i was. then, back in august, i went to talk to a doctor about relieving my carpal tunnel. he said the first thing to try was to lose about 20-30 lbs. so, i lost thirty pounds. my carpal tunnel is still here, but otherwise i feel really good. and the best part is that i lost weight, not because i was trying to be skinny, but because i was taking care of my body. i've battled eating disorders for most of my life. it feels so amazing to now be eating healthy and exercising and changing my diet for the right reasons, and to have a healthy relationship with food and my body. it is a perfect time for me to take on this new challenge!

3 comments:

tattooedblogger said...

Way to go girl...keep up the great additude

6512 and growing said...

It cracks me up how naturopaths are all on the gluten-free warpath. I know SO many people who've gone gluten free and are really happy about it. Man, that would be hard. But I have been reading a lot about how we're really not meant to digest so many grains.
XO

kristi smith said...

thanks, tattooedblogger do you have experience with this sort of thing?

and rachel, i know. it's the new craze. honestly, it hasn't been that hard, except for beer. i do miss beer. ;)